In the summer of 2021, when the world was maimed by the pandemic, a colossal project was underway in the bustling carpet city of Bhadohi, Uttar Pradesh at the Patodia Exports production facility, the parent company of luxury carpet brand Hands.
Manufacturing of the world’s largest handmade carpet had been commissioned for The Grand Mosque of Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, the largest mosque in Central Asia.
Founded in 1881, in Bhadohi near Varanasi, by Mr A. Tellery (a pioneer of Indian handmade carpets), the business was passed on to the Patodia family some decades later. Now, it is the second generation of Patodias who runs the show.
Today, the brand is housed in some of the world’s most prestigious palaces, luxury hotels, and residences. But the crowning glory lies in having crafted one of the world’s finest hand knotted carpets – with an incredible 4900 knots per square inch and also now having crafted the world’s largest handmade carpet.
Covering an area of 12,000 m², the world’s largest handmade carpet stands as one of the rarest feats in the history of art.It is not just a product of masterful craftsmanship but also of a manufacturing process driven by excellence.
From the spinning of the yarn to the installation of the carpet on site, everything was executed by Hands taking every detail of the mosque architecture into account: the principal chandelier, the corners, the flooring, the converging walls, the pillars and whatnot.
Few highlights of the colossal carpet.
● A 12,000 m² carpet with a medallion of 70 meters in diameter
● 80 tonnes of 100% New Zealand wool spun and dyed to perfection
● The work of more than a thousand craftsmen, made over a period of 6 months
● Installed in 50 days at the peak of the pandemic
● The design is an extension of two things: one, the circle with 8 axes that forms the centrepiece of the main courtyard; and two, the mosque gardens that draw design inspiration from Jannat-ul-Firdaus
Among others, the company’s manufacturing prowess includes:
● A production capacity of over 25,000 m² per month
● A vertically integrated production process for quality control at every level
● In-house dyeing of yarns for countless colour options
● A highly experienced installation team to finish the job at site
A highly flexible model of collaboration was adopted – both at the development stage and even after production. The client’s designers got to understand all aspects of production and at the same time team Hands brought their experience to help assist and innovate.
Today, the carpet covering the enormous floors of The Grand Mosque of Nur-Sultan tells a compelling tale of hands that have honoured time and tradition. Elevating creativity and its scale for the world to behold.
While the label caters to clients across the world, Hands has presence in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Dubai and Singapore. There is also the bespoke design – completely custom-made, designed, sized, and crafted around a unique, personal expression.